Monday, November 24, 2008

stumper

One of my neighbors dropped a minor bombshell on me over the weekend. Her brother is apparently suffering from some kind of severe heart trauma.

He's going to die.

Short of an actual heart transplant, there's apparently nothing anyone can do. I'm not clear on why he's not already in a list for trying to get a transplant. I tried not to ask too many questions.

Didn't seem to be my place.

How do people handle disasterous news like that? How do you cope when you wake up one morning with the news that you've got a specific, finite amount of time left? I mean, we all know our time is finite, but to have a specific time limit spelled out to you... that's just beyond words.

I didn't know what to say to my neighbor, in all honesty. I made the appropriate noises of genuine and heartfelt sympathy, but I don't think words work in situations like that.

Honestly, I don't know what would help in a situation like that, short of a miracle.

No comments: