Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Miserliness of Data

It fascinates me how information is handled in digital format. Information is power, blah, blah, blah... so how information is distributed is kind of important.

What gets me is when information handling is arbitrary.

So, I have (had?) access to a subscription website, including their archives. That website recently shut down. They offered their archives for a limited time (a couple of weeks), then boom. Gone. No more.

My login info still works. Would it really kill them to keep the info up for a few more months? I mean, I've paid them for a subscription that's apparently still-good and that subscription used to have archival access. Now: nope.

It's irritating to know something is, or should be, available on the Internet and have arbitrary roadblocks thrown in the way.

Very, very irritating.

No comments: