Thursday, November 20, 2008

Hell on Earth

Everyone has their idea of what "Hell" is. Some people think of lakes of fire. Others think of icy expanses of frozen lawyers. Others think of C-SPAN. Yet others think of "Dr. Phil".

To each his or her own.

To me, it's Xmas music. After years and years of being barraged with Xmas music in retail, I've developed an aversion that has not lessened with age. In truth, Xmas music - more than crowds - is what often drives me from stores when attempting to do holiday shopping.

I hate it. I especially hate it when they try to get "cute" with the Xmas music (like having a whiny kid singing "I'm getting nuthin' for Xmas" or having dogs bark "Jingle Bells"). Stuff like that makes me understand the people who snap and run amok in the news.

Yesterday, after dropping off my car with my mechanic, I ran a family-related errand. It involved time with a family member. And suddenly, I was trapped. Trapped in a room with people who were singing Xmas songs. And they were all off-key.

Every.

Last.

One.

It was all I could do to stay as long as I did. When I left said obligation to catch the train home, it was all I could do not to run across town. If they piped Xmas music on to the train, there might have been some blood.

Maybe.

It's not even THANKSGIVING yet!

I swear, if it weren't for the Internet, I'm not sure I could do Xmas shopping this year.

No comments: