Friday, April 11, 2008

Whee!!!

Friday! Yay!

The end of a long, allergy-ridden week. Ugh. I'm looking forward to being able to sleep in for a couple of days. One thing about allergies is that they give me the weirdest dreams. Makes it hard to wake up.

I'm just about ready for my game tomorrow. I'm thinking I should get a whiteboard for future sessions to help do quick maps and spell out NPC names and all that. Probably won't help. Some of my fellow gamers have the most interesting spelling hang-ups...

Still, I like the idea of quick, temporary maps as a supplement to the hex map. I believe a trip to Staples is in order at some point. Now I wish I'd driven to work today.

Friday has mutated into my only worthwhile TV night. I've got the "Sarah Jane Adventures" to try out at 7:30, new eps of "Avatar" coming up at 8:30, either tonight or next week. Then BSG at 10.

I don't have high hopes for any of these, but they're something.

For the Sarah Jane Adventures... Davies has done a good job reviving the "Dr. Who" franchise, but his stories are uneven at best. Some of the stuff (facing down "the Devil", encountering the Quantum Assassins in "Blink") is brilliant. Some of it (every companion falling in love with the Doctor, farting aliens, fat jokes) is just infantile and retarded.
"Torchwood" is even worse. Davies has some good ideas, but the individual stories are best executed by Moffett and other writers. Farting aliens? C'mon Russell. What is your problem?

I've heard the "Sarah Jane Adventures" are more true to the original "Dr. Who". They're aimed at kids, but they're still supposed to be well-done. I'm not surprised. Whenever a show prides itself on its "adult content", it's mostly substituting plot with titilation. "Torchwood" is a great example of that. Terrible acting. Inane plots. Everyone sleeping with everyone with little context. And the characters were just... stupid. These guys are supposed to be the brilliant investigators of the paranormal? They couldn't investigate their way out of a reality TV show. I've seen backbirths on talk shows brighter than these characters. Ye gods.

At least Sarah Jane Smith is old school and a good character. The show might be okay.

And "Avatar"... another kid's show. But so very good... I love my wuxia/martial arts/ninja shows. "Avatar: the Last Airbender" may be cartoony and dorky in parts (it's written for kids, after all), but its overall story is brilliant. It's surprisingly sophisticated. I'll never understand how Nickelodean markets this. They irregularly air it without any warning or advertising. They don't keep accurate TV listings. Hell, there's people clamoring for the soundtrack for a couple of years now and it's falling on deaf ears.

TV execs. I swear, they are an argument against both evolution and intelligent design.

And BSG... They frakking better have a good plan for BSG. I am still not happy with how they ended season three. At this point, I'm hoping Helo, Sharon/Athena, Dualla, Adama, Roslin, Tom Zarek, and old Doc Cottle just take the Galactica on ahead to Earth and leave the rest of the idiotic cast to get turned into Cylon target practice.

Mmmm... Grace Park...

Sorry. What was I saying?

No comments: