Thursday, April 10, 2008

A few awesome things

1) Joe Abercrombie. As fantasy(ish) authors go, he's not my absolute favorite, but he does spin a good yarn. Book three of his "The First Law" series is pretty intense. I've finally found an author who hates his characters more than George R.R. Martin does!

And he's impressing me with the moral ambiguity of his characters. I swear... no good deed goes unpunished at all. This guy's therapist must make bank.

2) Fortune cookies. So, thanks to my cube neighbor Hebron, I've found out where I can get a giant bag of rejected fortune cookies for a buck fifty. It's a massive bag of fortune cookies. Friggin' massive. And I'm addicted. They're the perfect thing to take the edge off of an exceptionally-bitter cup of coffee or just to give me my needed sugar rush. Plus, bonus! They don't (shouldn't) have stuff in them to upset the cholesterol.

Of course, it's not like they lack calories or anything. I'd like to think the bike riding is countering, but that's likely b.s.

3) My gaming group. For years we've been gaming like madmen. Once a month, almost like clockwork, we gather and geek out in our epic fantasy world. And these guy put up with me as a GM! Good lord! Who knew I associated with so many masochists? On top of it, we do email threads that read better than many of the fantasy novels I've read. I keep compilations of everything on multiple drives. One of these days, I'm going to try to novelize the whole thing, just to see how it would turn out.

No comments: