Tuesday, April 29, 2008

bike riding in the wind

... sucks, just so you know.

The weather report predicts between 20 to 30 MPH winds this afternoon. Today's ride home will either be awesome (if the wind is at my back) or suck incredibly (if not).

Odds are, it's gonna suck. Ah well.

At least the ear infection appears to be fading. Bless decongestants. I don't have to truck into the 'hood to see a doctor. Yay!

One interesting thing about allergies: they give me the strangest and most vivid dreams. Once again, I woke to a couple minutes of confusion as to whether or not I was really awake.

The alarm clock convinced me I was.

My apartment has a vaguely tomato-and-onion smell that didn't fade from having the kitchen window open overnight. I spent a few hours last night making pasta sauce amidst the normal puttering around that I usually do in my post-work afternoons. It's pretty good, if I do say so myself.

I actually got more work done my fantasy story this time around. Should Marc and I do our writing-group-meeting-thing in May, I'll be prepared with at least one of the two stories. I'm still hashing out what the hell I want to do with the sci-fi story. I'm having trouble working out character motivations and background. I know what characters I want to have in the story and roughly what I want to happen, but I'm finding that as I outline the actual plot, I'm dissatisfied. I may have to just nuke the whole thing and start over again.

One of the guys in my department (the only writer with more seniority than me, interestingly enough) once told me "the first three drafts of everything is crap".

He can't recall having said that, but I do and I've taken it to heart.

Alas, I think I'm an exception. The first ten drafts of everything I seem to do is crap.

Ah well. I'll get there eventually.

I'm really glad Erik is taking over GM duties for May. It helps that I don't have to think about game stuff at all (and I really don't want to).

I really need a vacation.

No comments: