Saturday, April 26, 2008

gettin' mah drink on, ah tell yew whut

Got a call from the unnamed around 11 saying:

"We're going to Jupiter! Join us for beer!"

It's a gorgeous day, so I could hardly say no.

Of course, I have standing plans tonight to catch up with my buddy Mackie for a few pints in celebration of our mutual decade of employment with those who sign our paychecks.

And I'm a wee-bit tipsy as I write this. I'm not meeting up with Mackie for another three hours.

Not an auspicious start to this evening. If it weren't for spell-check, I couldn't even spell "auspicious" worth a damn.

Yikes.

Finished watching last night's BSG and the Dr. Who ep. BSG was filler, though still entertaining. Dr. Who wasn't as bad as I feared, but it was mediocre. Kind of sad, really.

The unnamed, Ang, and I discussed some general ideas about my pending 40th. The unnamed did suggest perhaps I show a bit of restraint and not go absolutely batshit crazy with my invite list.

Given that I'm expecting at least a 50% flake-out rate on this, I don't anticipate a problem. Ang made a good point that people may well go the extra mile to give me shit over turning 40.

I befriend sadists, for the most part. Ang makes a very valid point.

I have plenty of time to dwell upon this. Probably best to give this more thought when I'm not a wee-bit tipsy from several pints of beer.

Tonight may well be a bit of a problem.

Just sayin'

Funny bit of random that caught my fleeting attention... I returned home and my neighbor was playing with his two kids (8-ish and a toddler) in the hallway. I'm not positive that he realized I'm a bit inebriated. I figure it ought to be obvious, but he talked to me as though I'm fine (which ought to be alarming... am I normally behaving like a lush? Ah well).

I get along well enough with the kids. I tend to get along fine with kids, for the most part. I think they sense someone far from emotionally-mature when they look at me. That or they realize I'm someone they can steamroll. Whatever.

I was amused, and still befuddled, by the fact that the toddler stared at me as if unsure who/what I am. I get that a lot from kids that age. It's something that makes me a bit self-conscious. I can't figure out what the hell it is that they're staring at.

And some pets do this. Especially dogs. Dogs, like toddlers, either like me or hate me. In the case of dogs, they bite. In the case of toddlers, they make a keeining, wailing, cry.

Yet the neighbor's kid toddler seems okay with me.

So what's with the staring? Is it that we've got the same general hairstyle?

Okay, the toddler has more.... *sigh*

Whatever. Gotta drink more water before tonight's destruction of the liver.

No comments: