Monday, April 21, 2008

The Good Life

There's something to be said for working for a company that gives me so much PTO (paid time off) that I have to "use it or lose it" fairly often.

Given that I haven't taken a big vacation this year, I find myself hitting that ceiling fairly often of late.

So today (and tomorrow) I'm being a bum. I slept about ten hours, woke to actual sunlight (gasp!), then decided to go out for breakfast. I took a walk to a local cafe to enjoy amaretto french toast, fresh-squeezed orange juice, and coffee.

It's f***ing cold outside, by the way. I should've worn a hat.

It was an excellent breakfast. I got further into "The Lies of Locke Lamora" and absolutely love this book! (Indulging in gaming nerd-dom) The main character, Locke Lamora, reminds me of any number of Steve's characters in our games. I should loan this to him. (end gaming refs)

And now I prepare to head out to arrange a few personal matters. Should be a hoot. Maybe I'll go for a jog later.

I actually got some writing done yesterday. Maybe I'll take some of the free time to return to that. I started working on gaming stuff, but the power-gaming elements of our Fantasy campaign is bugging me at the moment. Hell, we have a cadre of NPCs who are more powerful than some of our PCs. Gah! Frustrating.

That's actually one of the things I hate about Fantasy settings. They encourage a "god among men" sort of approach to characters akin to superhero settings. That bugs me. I tend to prefer more of an "every-person" sort of hero who can excel at learning and mortal limitations. I guess that's why I favor science fiction settings, but then given the right kind of technology applications in a game, it runs into the same kinds of problems.

Kind of an interesting statement on life, in a weird kind of way.

But I digress on my morning, post-coffee, brain dump.

No comments: