Tuesday, April 15, 2008

A bit breezy

The wind has been crazed of late. Since yesterday, the news says the wind's been blowing between 20 and 30 mph.

Sounded like more than that last night. My windows rattled from the damn wind. It wasn't enough to keep me awake, but it was awfully impressive.

It actually made me sleepy. "Weather" (rain, wind, etc.) always seems to have that effect. Of course, the fact that I went jogging yesterday probably had some impact on that. I suspect I inhaled a good pound or two of pollen. Ah, allergies. You've been with me so long, what would life be without you?

I sure would like to find out.

--

I love living in the 21st century. LED flashlights please me almost as much as my MP3 player and flash drives.

And the ultra-bright LED flashlights are so friggin' bright! I just got some cheap ones from Amazon and they boggle the mind with how bright they are.

I do love my gadgets.

I've learned I'm a bit of a marketing slut, too. So I felt the need to have a lightweight jacket for the local weather (all year round one always needs a light jacket or more). I also love garments with pockets, be they cargo pants or jackets with much the same. The more pockets, the happier I am (due in no small part to the love of gadgets mentioned above).

So I've been eyeballing the "Alpha Industries McGyver Field Jacket" mentioned in Uncrate and sold by Urban Outfitters. After questing for one in my size and preferred color (black), I gave up and wound up buying a Merona "Safari jacket" in a "charcoal" color for about a third of the price of the "McGyver" jacket (yes the spelling is off from the TV show... it's deliberate, from what I gather).

The Merona jacket is really nice. Tons of pockets, lightweight, and just my thing.

To mix things up a bit, I decided to get the "McGyver" jacket in the alternate offered color ("olive"). It arrived yesterday.

Here's where I'm a marketing slut. I bought it based on advertising and, while it's a nice jacket, it's not as comfortable or pocket-laden as the Merona jacket, which is a Target-brand jacket.

I think it's 'cause the Merona jacket is roomier. The Alpha Industries jacket is cut a bit more form-fitting and feels a bit claustrophobic. The pockets are also smaller. Hmph.

Life lesson here? Pay less attention to the purdy advertisin'. Will I learn something from this? Probably not.

That said, I regret nothing.

No comments: