Monday, January 26, 2009

Gong hei fat choi/Gong xi fa cai

After a rather massive meal with the 'rents (a full rack of ribs plus extras), I got home and went about the normal tasks of preparing myself for crashing and work the next day.

I heard a tap on my front door.

My neighbors from across the hall invited me over for dumplings and what-not in honor of the Chinese (Lunar) New Year.

At first I started to beg off... I was really, really full. I'm not sure at what point in conversation I accepted their gracious offer, but I wound up across the hall and enjoying an impromptu (for me) celebration of the Lunar New Year.

(An aside: I've gotten in the habit of calling it Lunar New Year because I have a lot of Japanese, Vietnamese, and Thai friends who celebrate the New Year and they have advised me it's rude to refer to it as "Chinese" New Year... it's their New Year as well.)

So my neighbors taught me how to make dumplings (I learned that I shouldn't quit my day job) and how to say "delicious" in Mandarin (since I've slept on it, my brain has completely forgotten).

I entertained them with my ability to use chopsticks and I ate samplings of everything they put in front of me, including some lovely rose(?) tea.

I could have gorged myself on the dumplings. They were outstanding. If I only had room in my stomach...

It was a very pleasant surprise for me and great fun. My neighbors rock.

Good lord I'm still full...

No comments: