Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Rage

Ah, politics.

I try to sit back and not let the political arena bother me. There are people in this country who disagree with me on a number of political matters. In some cases, they're better-informed than I am. In other cases, they're not.

I try to respect other people's opinions. I try to just let it slide.

This election, however, is really fuelling my rage. Some of the ads and the claims are really pressing my buttons, especially in light of how fucked up everything is right now.

So I'm exiting my garage this morning and I see a bumper sticker on a car belonging to one of my neighbors. Said bumper sticker exhorts the so-called virtues of the candidates for president and VP that I have a lot of problems with.

And I suddenly felt this overwhelming sense of rage. If they'd been present (my neighbors, not the candidates), I probably would have started screaming at them over how hypocritical it is for them to support said candidates given their current living situation.

I felt this sudden and overwhelming desire to smash the crap out of their car, too.

Thankfully, I don't act on impulses like this. Legal ramifications aside, it flies in the face of my belief that everyone is entitled to their opinion, blah, blah, blah.

And yet I'm still churning with barely-suppressed fury. It's not rational. It's not constructive or productive. It's not a good idea to have this fury or act on it. All the same, it's there.

Best that I minimize TV time 'till the election is over.

No comments: