Saturday, February 28, 2009

Crazy mix

I felt the need for some family time today. I made arrangements to visit one of my family members this afternoon and thus relieved another family member of the obligation.

Two karmic good deeds for the price of one.

It was a nice visit, but the trip in...

I was almost hit by five people who don't appear to understand the concept of stop signs. Two were bicyclists (no great shock there) and three were drivers who took their full dose of dumbf*ck pills for the day.

That wasn't the topper, though.

So I'm trucking along a windy road and following some guy (woman?) in a Honda. The person in front of me is pretty much hugging the speed limit. I'm in no rush, so I'm doing much the same.

There are bicyclists also on this windy road, and it's best to keep the speed reasonable.

So we're approaching one of these bicyclists.

I'm going to call him Dumber-than-Shit.

That name works for me.

So, Dumber-than-Shit has one of those bicyclist shirts with the big pockets in the back for a water bottle, wallet, etc. Neat garment.

Dumber-than-Shit decides, just as the Honda is coming up from behind him, to reach into his shirt with both hands to... I dunno. Adjust something? Scratch his back? Finish his suicide note?

And he swerves sharply to the left... right in front of the Honda.

I swear. I don't know why they didn't collide. The Honda stopped sharply. So, of course, did I.

Dumber-than-Shit kept going into the opposite lane, then regained control, swerved back and indifferently moved to the right of the car lane.

Now, I get that we're supposed to share the road. I do. As a bicyclist myself, I appreciate the need for a little give-and-take.

Dumber-than-Shit could have died.

The Honda driver, clearly rattled, waited 'till Dumber-than-Shit had his shit together, then passed him. I followed suit.

As I passed him, I noticed Dumber-than-Shit lowering his fancy sunglasses and glaring at the Honda, as if he were memorizing the license plate number.

I hope he memorized mine as well. Dumber-than-Shit almost caused an accident that could have gone incredibly badly. I'd love to tell this story to the police.

I really wanted to stop and "have words" with that dumbass as well, but that never accomplishes anything positive.

Boggles the mind sometimes.

Ah well. I'm glad I was able to get my family visit in and finish my errands.

Happy place... must go find it.

No comments: