Friday, February 20, 2009

A run for the money (or not)

My first exposure to Parkour came from the Warren Ellis comic series "Global Frequency". An entire issue was dedicated to a woman who was a Parkour runner.

I found it fascinating.

Later, while trolling the Internet for a new jacket, I ran across mention of a "Parkour jacket" that had my requirements (black and many pockets). I failed to get the jacket (it was no longer produced by the time I hunted for it), but my investigations exposed me to the concept of Parkour.

I doubt I'll ever really try this. I like jogging, but straight-out running is a bit beyond me these days, thanks to a bit of knee strain from past abuses. I don't know squat about tumbling and rolling, alas (my prior martial arts experience was in an "external" style that didn't cover falling and rolling).

Plus, jumping over fences, cars, and buildings in my neighborhood would probably receive unwelcome police attention and possibly a gunshot from a neighbor.

And that's really what Parkour is all about (okay, not the gunshots, but you get the point).

It's become quite the little subculture and popps up in odd places. One of my friends who is participating in a role-playing game opted to create a Parkour-trained character. While I was trolling Twitch, I saw a trailer for Banlieue 13 - Ultimatum.

That led me to looking at Banlieue 13 and obtaining said film.

It arrived yesterday. I'm about 3/4 through.

Damn.

It's like the older Jackie Chan flicks. Great acrobatics. Crazy stuff.

Love it.

No comments: