Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Whodunnit?

I've been an addict of "Dr. Who" since I was about 13 or so.

We had polar ice caps back then and there was a U.S.S.R. - just for historical perspective.

It's fascinated me to see the popularity of this show. I get why most people love "Star Trek" and similar franchises. You have space battles, ray guns, fighting, etc.

Oh, "Dr. Who" has fighting... it's kind of hokey, but it has it. It doesn't really have space battles and the ray guns are often just flashlights. "Dr. Who" fans don't watch the show for the effects.

I can't speak as to what the appeal is for most people. I love it purely for the concept of the eternal wanderer who outsmarts the bad guys. I love that he rarely resorts to violence personally (though people around him do).

I guess I just like the idea of a hero who doesn't feel the need to resort to packing a pistol and shooting his way through his problems. I like shows with characters like that, but I do appreciate when there are characters who deal with matters in another way.

Plus: the TARDIS? Totally cool.

That reminds me... I need to do some viewing and get caught up. Hmm...

No comments: