Thursday, April 2, 2009

Reality and the fine art of sparring

In martial arts - no matter the style - you're being taught how to fight. Some of the applications are intended to restrain while others are intended to hurt, cripple, or even sometimes kill.

As with many skills, at some point you have to practice what you're taught in order to put the pieces together.

Since hurting, crippling, and killing folks is generally a bad idea, there's sparring.

That's when I've found one learns just how good or bad one is.

I'm pretty bad.

When I studied karate, I can recall a time when I sparred a young lady who was easily half my size. Being a gentlemanly-sort, I was reluctant to attempt to strike a woman, especially one I had such a size advantage over.

She was not so restrained.

After a couple of solid hits from her, I found myself encouraged to try harder to tag her.

She handed me my ass.

It was about then I realized I'm just not a very good fighter.

I got better in subsequent boughts against different opponents. I never did spar that young woman again, which is just as well.

Years later, I've gone on to my new style and this week's topic has been practical usage (essentially a type of sparring).

I'm learning humility all over again.

Oh, and pain.

Oh well. Baby steps.

'Cause at this point, a baby could totally kick my ass.

No comments: