Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Reeling with the Reaperness

Whatever affliction is getting to me (allergies? cold? existential ennui?) was kicking my ass last night. I was ready to conk out at 4pm.

Seriously.

I had my copy of "Turn Coat" to keep me occupied amidst the various chores I had to finish and I found my second wind.

So I read a few (not enough) chapters of "Turn Coat", then set a tape for the new offering of "Fringe" at 9 and watched "Reaper" at 8.

I can't understand why the CW would ever consider canceling this show.

I mean... they air "America's Top Model", a vomited-up version of "90210" (which was crap when the original aired), and the umteen-billionth season of "Smallville" and they want to cancel "Reaper"? Seriously? WTF?

So... "Reaper". Last night's ep was an asskicker. The guys brought their respective ladies to a creepy small town to hunt down the latest soul-of-the-week.

Well, they tried in all cases.

The soul-of-the-week made me laugh. The town was just... awesome.

And then there were the dynamics.

I'm a little tired of Sam and Andi. I find their subplot terribly predictable and a bit contrived (yes, I know that sound silly given the show concept... whatever). It is interesting how Sam's power manifests.

The really good stuff was with Ben and Nina as well as Sock and Kristin.

Ah, OCD Ben and your hot-hot-hot demon lover. Never-ending funny. Nina is one of the best possible additions to the show, in my opinion.

Sock, as usual, had the best lines of the episode. His dynamic with his step-sister Kristin (I'm adding Eriko Tamura to my list of crushes now, thank you) is funny, oddly sweet, and really creepy by turns. Mainly the faux-incest overtones make me a little nauseous, which means the writers are totally on their game there.

It was easily one of the best eps I've seen for the series yet.

I've shot off an email to the CW, but I'm fully-aware of how nobody pays attention to those. I'm unconvinced that online petitions are worth spit, so I think I'll send off a letter whining about the cancellation noises. If anyone else is a fan, I've seen these as good people to write to:

Ms. Dawn Ostroff
President
The CW
3300 W. Olive Avenue
Burbank, CA 91505
Re: REAPER

Mr. Stephen McPherson
President
ABC Entertainment Group
500 S. Buena Vista St.
Burbank, CA 91521
Re: REAPER

I recorded my ep of "Fringe" and started watching it as I had breakfast. I look forward to the rest of the ep tonight.

Mmmm... televisiony-goodness.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are so awesome.