Sunday, April 26, 2009

Well this has been nice

The last of my three-day weekends for a while.

I could get used to this.

I spent part of the day with the fam and am now decompressing from a massive lunch meal. No dinner for this little buckaroo.

I got three "Sinbad the Sailor" movies at Amoeba yesterday. I'm currently The 7th Voyage of Sinbad, which is beyond cheesy.

Still, three of these flicks for under twenty bucks is a reasonable deal.

Erik loaned me the first of the Kelly Armstrong "Women of the Otherworld" (or whatever) series. This one is about a female werewolf.

At this point, these books are extreme cliche. I'm noticing the worlds of Patricia Briggs, Kim Harrison, and Armstrong are blurring together in my mind. Armstrong and Briggs are stronger authors than Harrison, in my opinion. Still, the similarities between their protagonists makes it hard for me to stay focused on their books.

I suppose Jim Butcher's worlds for Harry Dresden are similar, but his narrative style creates something that really stands apart - at least for me. Maybe it's because he's got a male protagonist? I dunno. The gender of the protagonist shouldn't matter too much. Illona Andrews writes in a similar genre and I find her world and protagonist compelling and different.

To me, Armstrong, Briggs, and Harrison write their stuff in a way that seems like a bad romance novel... though I've never tried to read a romance novel, so I guess their stories are more what I think a romance novel would be like.

Meh.

Ramble ramble...

My final weird little snarl is that my play-by-email game with my gaming nerd buddies is hitting a snag. Two of my fellow nerds use Hotmail and for some reason, Hotmail has designated my email address that of a spammer.

Great.

So... maybe that's a sign that I'm doing too much gaming? I dunno.

Oh well. I have plenty of other things to do.

Like work tomorrow. Waaaaah!

No comments: