Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Midpoint

And lo, 'twas the coming of the Day of Wednes.

Wait... is that how that works? According to Wikipedia:

The name comes from the Middle English Wednes dei, which is from Old English language Wēdnes dæg, meaning the day of the English god Woden (Wodan) who was a god of the Anglo-Saxons in England until about the 7th century.

So... okay then.

Thanks Wodan (Odin?). Given that this is also called Hump Day, maybe it should be Zeus Day.

Heh.

The weather wonks claim it will warm today. I don't really care one way or the other. I'm more interested in finding out if I really need to attend this afternoon meeting I've been invited to. I suspect the subject matter is someone else's realm of interest, so I may actually get out of the office on-time today.

We'll see how that goes.

Yesterday I received a hoodie I'd ordered. This one is a bit odd. It's wool. Feels like a fine sweater, actually. The hood portion fits very much like I'd expect a Sith lord or Mordor sorcerer to have (probably 'cause it's black).

I look kind of scary in it, but I expect that's not going to have any major impact on my social life.

This morning's news offers more claims that the "economy is turning around" and all that. The evidence they offer: rising gas prices.

That's right, citizens. It's once again over $3/gal in California.

Sure this is nothing compared to what Europeans have to pay, but we don't live in Europe with their often-superior public transportation and all that.

I'm not sure how rising gas prices (and food prices, and rents, and deficits, and so on) are signs that the economy is improving. If the public gets less for their money, I fail to see how that's an improvement. If things are more expensive, it just encourages us to spend less.

Sure, the high prices are economically great if I happen to own shares in Chevron or Shell or whatever, or if I'm otherwise wealthy and own businesses that benefit from all this...

Hm. Maybe that's what the news meant. That wouldn't surprise me one bit.

No comments: