Tuesday, June 30, 2009

It's all swirly...

I've finished my giant bag of fortune cookie rejects. Today's fortunes:

Do not hide your feelings. Let others know where you stand.

Okay, I previously mentioned that. So let me say for the record that I really like money and if anyone wants to give me some, I'm not too proud to take it.

Oh, and summer dresses? I approve of those as a fashion statement when attractive ladies decide that's what they're hankerin' to wear. Just thought I'd spell that out.

No need to thank me.

So... other fortunes:

A movie would be a great way to relax this weekend.

Gosh, I'm glad I have a crapload of DVDs to watch. Moving on...

Rely on long time friends to give you advice with your present question.

Um... Huh. That's interesting, as I haven't really asked any questions today. All the same, Vicky offered some suggestions for a new car that I'm seriously entertaining. Conversely, another friend has offered me unsolicited dating advice that has not been helpful, so I'm not sure about this one.

So... on to the last one:

You will travel to many exotic places in your lifetime.

That can be good... and that can be bad. Hopefully this doesn't mean I'll be drafted or anything like that. I'd also prefer this doesn't mean I'm fated to be any kind of refugee or fugitive. That kind of exotic I could do without.

And Erik's birthday countdown is now making me very nostalgic.

He calls out the evening of October 17, 1989. I remember that day pretty well. I drove off to the library to research a paper. I found parking on campus (which was a minor miracle), then hoofed it over to the library (I still don't know why I didn't just walk). When I entered the building, they announced over the PA that the elevators were out-of-service until they could be inspected.

I didn't really think anything of it. I dislike elevators and much prefer the stairs. That's when I noticed people taking up all the phones.

This was before cell phones were commonplace, of course. Every coin phone was in use. And that's when the PA came on again.

In a nutshell, they announced a major quake had hit the Bay Area. There was speculation that the Bay and Golden Gate Bridges had either sustained damage or collapsed altogether.

I don't remember leaving the library. I do know I ran to my car - my research forgotten - and drove home as fast as I could. Erik was already trying to phone his family in the Bay Area.

For hours we tried to get past the busy signal to get word from our families. Meanwhile we fielded calls from elsewhere in the country and watched the news.

It turned out everyone in our families were okay. The only damage my folks' house sustained was a broken plate and a shattered beer stein (oh, the humanity).

Still, the not-knowing was a sickening feeling.

Funny. I can hardly remember the rest of that year at all.

No comments: