Thursday, March 26, 2009

Synchronicity

Right around my last birthday I got in one of those maudlin moods folks get in when they reach a certain age (varies depending on the person) and look at their lives and often feel a bit unsatisfied.

Why am I not wealthy? Why don't I speak five languages? Why haven't I mastered kung fu? Why haven't I hiked the Great Wall of China? (I actually sort of have done that last bit)

You get the idea.

I've had a life-long "to do" list for some time. Among my intentions:

- get back into martial arts
- learn a foreign language (or two)
- re-do my Red Cross CPR/First Aid certification
- educate myself on financial information
- learn how to DIY (do it yourself) for general stuff (plumbing, bike repair, etc.)

These aren't rocket scientist goals. Most of that stuff interests me (okay, learning financials bores the holy crap out of me, but I do like not being penniless).

I got started back on martial arts in January and I've been enjoying it. I picked up some language CDs for a couple of languages that interest me and I've sort of halfassed followed them, but I've really been a slacker on that stuff.

The rest has kind of fallen by the wayside.

I'm about 3/4 through Neil Strauss' book Emergency: This Book Will Save Your Life and I have to say this has lit a fire under me.

I have to tap my vacation at work next month since I'm maxing-out on earned hours so I think I'll take one day and re-up that Red Cross bit. With the warmer weather coming up, REI will offer workshops on bike maintenance so I think I'll look into signing up for one of those seminars.

Heh.

No comments: