Friday, March 20, 2009

The End Draws Nigh

Tonight is the series finale of "Battlestar Galactica".

It's about time.

I watched the re-imagining of BSG from the beginning. I found the mini-series slow, but visually stunning. I was surprised it made it into a regular series.

Season one was slowish, but good and only seemed to get better as they introduced a complex and interesting mythology. Seeming throwaway characters (like Helo) survived and thrived. Indeed, I found myself far more interested in the side characters of Doc Cottle, Helo, Cally, Gaeta, Dee, and Anders than I did with the main characters.

The show hit its peak with me during the "New Caprica" story arc that explored the concept of occupation, terrorism, and one of the most kick-ass space battles I've ever seen at the end.

And then the writers returned to the "Final Five" of the human-appearing Cylons, decided to incorporate a Bob Dylan song while seemingly-randomly grabbing character and saying "hey! Now you're a Cylon!"

And they started to lose me.

The last season has largely been a snorefest to me to the point that I haven't been inclined to buy the DVD set for season "4.0" (and I'm fairly obsessive about making sure my media sets are complete).

The "rebellion" storyline in the last of the "4.5" episodes was good, but otherwise, this season has pretty much been a steady serving of self-indulgent, melodramatic crap.

I have hopes that the finale will serve up some answers, but I've been bitterly disappointed by this show too many times before to have any real expectations that they'll address my hopes.

And still I'll watch the finale.

Bah.

No comments: