Tuesday, March 3, 2009

The Lesson

Back in the day, I was moderately-dedicated to karate. My instructors taught me a lot of neat stuff. I wasn't a particularly good student, but I wasn't particularly bad.

One thing that martial arts teaches really well is humility.

There's always someone better than you at something. It's a fact of life. When you start walking around thinking that 'cause you can throw a kick as high as your face that you're the next Bruce Lee or Chuck Norris, you meet someone who can put you on your ass (or your face) so fast that you never know what hit you.

(Re-reading that sentence, I am learning humility about my crappy-ass writing... heh.)

It's a never-ending lesson, really. It translates to most things in life. I've found that I'm not nearly as good as I think I am at the things I think are strengths.

All those karate skills I had certainly are on the list. Oh, I don't seriously think I was ever all that good, but I sure thought I was better. I learned last night that I'm much worse than I thought. Glad I learned this in a class and not in a real-life situation.

That could have hurt.

I also learned that my social skills and insights could use a little work as well. I'm going to need to spend a little time in the next couple of weeks correcting a few bad assumptions I made.

Should be a hoot.

It's all good. There's always room for improvement. I think that's one of the meanings to life, really. Improving one's self and one's surroundings is an integral part of life and all that.

Wish it was a bit easier. It would cater well to my laziness.

I'd like winning Lotto numbers, too.

No comments: