Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Orwell Spinning

Stuff like this makes me wonder just what the hell is going on in this country today.

Seriously.

The whole disregarding the Constitution and the Bill of Rights has to stop. Now.

I get that some of the folks imprisoned at Guantanamo might be bad. I get that there's people out there who are not warm-fuzzy-friendly folks.

They still have rights. They still should have a chance to defend themselves.

No government should be able to blithely disregard basic rights of people, regardless as to who they are.

Naive? Maybe. Idealistic? Certainly. True? Hell yeah.

In 2000-2001, my father recommended a book to me: It Can't Happen Here by Sinclair Lewis.

Creepiest book I've ever read. It bothers me how much it reasonated with the last eight years.

Bothers me that it might still apply.

No comments: