Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Teknulugy

I got a laptop.

It's neat. It's purdy. It's maddening.

Let me 'splain:

My laptop has this little pad thingie that emulate the functions of a mouse. I find using it to be about as maddening as trying to sleep on a bed of rusty nails.

Oh, it's easily fixed. I just need to get a mouse for the laptop and I'm golden.

Yeah...

Then there's the wireless function.

So I don't have wireless set up at home. Being a raving paranoid who heeds the Voices when they gibber to me in the dark of night, I have never had a lot of faith in the security of any kind of broadcast signal. There's something strangely comforting for me knowing that the wires connecting my router to the phone and to the PC are keeping things rather orderly.

My laptop, however, has wireless capabilities. There are active wireless networks in my 'hood, but I can't seem to get the laptop to do its connecting thing.

Not sure why.

Meh. I'll probably just go buy a cable so I can connect the laptop to the router and get everything going that way.

It really troubles me that I work in a technology industry and I'm such a complete spaz when it comes to using stuff that most people commonly dink around with and give nary a second thought to.

I'm never going to survive to my parents' age at this point.

And I'm utterly screwed come the Robot Revolution.

No comments: