Wednesday, July 22, 2009

A moment to rave

So I list a bunch of rather unusual shopping sites in one of my sidebars. These are places I've looked through and found really interesting. They're mainly for my reference (since I only know firsthand of six people who actually read this blog).

With the exception of Botach (which I am currently in the process of getting something from), I've had experiences with all of the listed sites.

Just for the hell of it, I feel obligated to give a special shout-out to Duluth Trading Co. These folks make some pretty awesomely-durable clothes. They're for "tradesmen" and "working folk" (I doubt I qualify as either). As someone who is rather hard on his garments, I've found their stuff pretty damn durable. Plus, many of their garments have ridiculous numbers of pockets.

They also have a guarantee. Most places do, but these guys really haul on it. I just returned a couple of pairs of shorts that I got in the wrong size. It hasn't even been five days and they notified me that my replacements are in the mail.

I love these guys. Love them.

I think I've already raved in the past about TAD Gear. They're pricey, but I like what I've gotten from them.

Rail Riders is also pretty good for durable stuff. They ship really fast.

REI is a holy place. Seriously. They are among the best customer service I've ever had the pleasure of dealing with. Their stock is good for outdoorsy things and their returns policy is very generous.

Atwood Tools is almost a fetishistic interest of mine. I've purchased... oh... hm... maybe a dozen of Atwood's tools? I haven't regretted a single purchase. They're all really well-made and neat. One of his "Prybaby" tools is always on my key chain and is my favorite bottle opener. Being able to buy stuff of his is like winning the Lottery in many ways.

Plus he's pretty cool (via email, I've never met him).

County Comm is... well, you have to see the site. I love their stuff. Clever things. Very clever things. They ship really fast, too.

Think Geek is heaven for geeks who like "stuff". That's all you need to know.

Vibram Five Fingers shoes are some of the oddest, yet most comfortable, footwear I've ever obtained. I'm saving up for another pair. Or two.

I list Steve Jackson Games for reasons that should be obvious if you've read any of my gaming stuff.

I guess that leaves Yesasia, CDJapan, and HKFlix. If some of my movie commentary hasn't indicated my film interests, then these sites should pretty much wipe away any confusion.

What's left? Oh yes, Oakley and Chrome Bags.

I've raved in the past about the backpack I got from Chrome recently. Prior to that, I've been using one of their messenger bags. It's possibly one of my favorite possessions. I still favor the messenger bag. I only switch to the backpack for bicycling (it's easier on my shoulders and has a greater capacity).

Oakley's stuff is hell of expensive. I'm inclined to say it's worth it if you're into their kind of stuff. I got a Kitchen Sink bag from them and it's durable and really nice. I've never seen so many pockets in a single bag. It's kind of crazy.

Okay, I'm done with my cheerleader routine (pause to digest that image... now go vomit... okay, back to business).

Seriously, these are great places. If you're into any of their wares, I recommend you give them a try.

No comments: