Monday, July 27, 2009

Guilty Conscience?

Boggles the mind.

In no particular hurry, I drove into work this morning. I actually adhered to the speed limit. I coasted along in the right lane of the highway. When I exited, I pretty much held to the posted speed limit.

I reached an intersection and there was a police officer doing his morning rounds.

I passed, went to another intersection and headed to the office. Lo and behold, said officer decided it was time to follow my suspiciously-clean car (I had it washed yesterday by a gaggle of bikini-clad teenage girls, but that's another story).

It's a funny thing. I know I was adhering to the speed limit (and I was paying closer attention as soon as I realized the officer was following me). I know I wasn't doing anything wrong.

All the same, I felt my shoulders tense up. I was feeling guilty for absolutely no reason at all.

It's weird how that plays out. I know I'm not alone in experiences like this. Oh, I don't blame the officer for my neurosis. He was just going about his business. It is odd to see a car taking a kind of random route like mine that early in the morning.

All the same, it's not the kind of start to the morning that I prefer.

But, hey! I have a clean car!

No comments: