Monday, July 20, 2009

Rents

As I visited my family yesterday, it really drove home to me how lucky I am with my parents.

I can't sew. I've tried. There's just something about a needle and thread that turns into a horrific botch job involving my blood on cloth. If (god forbid) I ever get married, I'm gonna have to find me a spouse willing to do sewing (sexist as that sounds...). I can handle cooking fine, but sewing is beyond my pathetic abilities.

My mom is willing to step up in the rare circumstances where I need patchwork on my clothes. And she does that with a smile on her face and a song in her heart (well... the smile is there, certainly).

And that's not the least of it. She's an awesome cook (she gave me muffins!), gives great advice on a variety of matters, and is pretty much responsible for making me into a geek (thanks for the Tolkein books, Mom!).

My dad should not get shortchanged in this appreciation moment. He is also an awesome cook (his BBQ ribs are what they serve in Heaven and his pasta sauce is what pure awesome tastes like), a drink mixer that would make Pan bow down (his mai tais and hurricanes are so good that I find myself craving them just thinking about them), and is also a source of excellent advice on a variety of matters.

He taught me how to drive. Please don't hold that against him. Any quirks in my driving skills came after he completed his tutelage.

I could go on. I'm not sure I could ever properly ennumerate the various awesome aspects of the two people who gave me life.

I guess I just enjoy the good fortune of having a good relationship with them.

It never hurts that they feed me from time-to-time... and help me when I need sewing jobs done.

It's certainly something I keep in mind when I have to do any heavy lifting for them (the joy of being their physically-strongest offspring... yay...) or any tech support on their computer.

And I don't mind a bit.

No comments: