Friday, July 10, 2009

Bloody Hell

I treated myself to Blood the Last Vampire after class.

Hm.

It wasn't entirely what I expected.

First of all, it's set in 1970 Tokyo. It's semi-faithful to 70's fashions... except when it isn't.

Pros:
- the fights are great
- they actually speak Japanese in many parts of the movie
- the fights are great
- Gianna Jun, who plays Saya
- the fights are great

Cons:
- the cgi for the "demons" and the blood sprays is pretty crappy
- the acting is so-so (not unexpected)
- the ending is incomprehensible. I actually heard myself exclaim "what the fuck?" out loud.

Head Scratchers:
- the American girl - Alice Mckee (played by Allison Miller). She has good moments. She has awful, awful moments. I mostly blame the director for the latter.
- Gianna Jun - who plays Saya, the heroine - didn't seem very Japanese to me (based on her spoken Japanese, I guess). IMDB proved to me that I'm right and I really need to get out more.
- Koyuki, who played the heroine from The Last Samurai has a role in this.

Overall, I enjoyed it. The ending sucked, but that's hardly the first movie I've seen with that problem.

No comments: