Saturday, July 11, 2009

Puzzling Comment

io9 has an interesting story in which one British critic bemoans the quality of British science fiction vs. American science fiction.

I have to admit this claim kind of blows my mind.

The UK has generated some utterly fantastic shows in science fiction:

- "Dr. Who"
- "Blake's Seven"
- "Ultraviolet" (not the movie, the far superior TV series)
- the "Quartermass" movies
- The "Triffids" TV series

Sure, they aren't pumping the money into the FX that their American counterparts do, but I'll take a low-budget "Blake's Seven" or "Dr. Who" over any episode of "Star Trek Voyager" and sleep well that night.

That's not to say all American sci-fi is crap. I'm personally a huge fan of "Babylon-5", "Farscape" (is that really American or is it Australian? Both?), "I-Man", some of "Star Trek: The Next Generation", classic "Star Trek", and "Firefly" -- just to name a few.

I'd say UK and American sci-fi run pretty much neck-and-neck.

Oddly enough, the critic was (I think) in favor of a recent "Torchwood" mini-series.

I haven't seen any good science-fiction related to "Torchwood". Hmm...

No comments: