Thursday, July 9, 2009

Mighty Morphin' Memory

Back in 1975, around the time of disco, bell-bottoms, awful polyester, an utter lack of anything resembling fashion, and dinosaurs, there was a show aired called Goranger or, as I saw it translated, "The Five Rangers".

Years later, variations of this would be the innumerable flavors of Power Ranger shows that grace the airwaves for kids.

I got to see pretty much all of the original, back in the day. I even had the poorly-articulated toys. I remember their giant mecha, their weird weapons (the Pink Ranger had exploding earrings), and all that stuff.

It was a rarity among kid's shows that I recall. It had an actual story arc of sorts. When the show ended in 1977, I remember watching the last episode and being surprised to see actual closure to the story.

American-made kid's TV shows didn't do that. They just got abruptly cancelled. No pesky continuity and all that. Just - BOOM! - gone.

Interestingly enough, I saw toys for Goranger in random junk-toy bins while I was wandering through Kobe and Osaka (in Japan) a few years back.

I'm guessing I haven't lost out on any collector money by not keeping those particular toys from my childhood.

No comments: