Monday, June 9, 2008

Watashi wa nemui desu

I've mostly forgotten what little Japanese I studied during those couple of years I was shuttling betwixt here and Japan in my four all-too-brief moments.

That said, I think my tagline for today is "I'm tired."

It was a pretty full weekend. Friday night I hit the Albatross with some friends for a few pints (mmm... Death & Taxes...) a lot of popcorn, and some popcorn throwing.

It was good times. My only complaint is the scary circus pics up in the back room of the pub. *shudder*

Saturday was me getting up early (for a Saturday) throwing on my all-too-few nice duds and trucking out to friggin' Dublin for a friend's wedding. I'd agreed to help one of my friends do setup for the wedding and I completely forgot how long it takes to drive out there. I wasn't exactly running on-time, but traffic was cooperative and I'm fortunate that I know the area reasonably well.

As I commented earlier, the wedding was fun. The weather was rather warm.

Yesterday was family stuff. I picked up comics before then and got the latest of the "Buffy Season 8" issues. These have been an entertaining read. I love hitting the comic store I hit out in the boonies where the family lives. It's always good times and the staff are entertaining there. One of the guys working there was telling me about some woman who feels Joss Whedon is anything but a feminist.

I suppose that could be argued. I can't say I care but I found it an entertaining discussion.
---
I enjoyed Friday's "Dr. Who" ("The Doctor's Daughter") a fair amount, though the pacing of the story was too-rushed. It seemed to me they were setting up the gal who played the Doctor's Daughter as a returning (and possibly recurring) character in future seasons. Hope so. She was kind of cool.

I'm still digesting BSG. It was certainly a lot better than last week's episode but then it was more action-packed as well. I have the sad, grim feeling that the writers will kill off Helo before the end of the series. Helo and Athena-Sharon are two of my favorite characters, so I'm a bit saddened by that realization.

Oh well. If I'm lucky, they'll wipe out everyone in the last episode in a "Blake's Seven" kind of throw-down. That would be nice.

Wow. I just mixed sci-fi refs. Go me!
---
So apparently there's a new version of D&D out. While I count myself among the moderately hard-core of table-top RPG'ers, I don't really "get" D&D all that much. The setting is what it is, but the rules themselves seem remarkably arbitrary and random. According to fanboy-buzz, there's nerds who are all in a tizzy 'cause they relegated some non-human character classes to be monsters instead of character-types. Specifically, gnomes and half-Orcs.

So, for the uninitiated (I'm assuming you care if you're still reading), humans are all apparently descended from the same stock as Captain James T. Kirk and can pretty much have sexual intercourse with any vaguely humanoid being and produce offspring.

As a result, humans appear to get busy with all sorts of non-humans-who-otherwise-look-vaguely-human, such as Elves and Orcs. As a result, you get "half-Elves" and "half-Orcs". And gamers do love to play unique characters.

So I have to wonder why the current producers of D&D (Wizards of the Coast? I forget who owns the franchise now) decided to make that tweak. Just to piss off the nerds?

Do I care? Probably not.
---
And that leaves me with an early Monday morning. I'm having serious trouble keeping awake. I wonder if I'm coming down with something?

Ugh. I needs my coffee and my "coffee buddy" is going to be late this morning.

Damnit!

No comments: