Saturday, June 21, 2008

Life lessons

It's been a hot weekend. It was hot yesterday and remained hot today.

Combine that with the mild hangover I experienced this morning, and I'm surprised I ever got moving out the door.

And yet, I did.

I've been promising myself for some time that I'd send a care package to my friend Megumi overseas to cheer her up. I've been waiting to hear from her if it's okay to mail to the address I have. I haven't heard, so I decided I'll put something together and mail it anyway.

So step one is chocolate covered orange peel candies that I know she likes. This necessitated a trip to the city to hit the one place I know that carries these.

I decided to combine other errands with this trek, so I hit Chinatown to pick up a few random small things and get a tapioca milk tea.

It was hot in the city. I was ready for that tea.

When I was a kid, waaaay back in kindergarten, one of my earliest memories is some other kid shoving me out of line for some wagon pulling thing in recess. I didn't confront the kid then. I was too shocked and afraid.

I think that established a bad pattern in my behavior in life.

So while waiting to order my milk tea, some older guy shoved his way in front of me and placed his order before I could decide if I wanted to:

a) Advise this dickhead that I was in line before him

b) Shove him out of line

c) Walk away

or

d) Just ignore it

Now, it was hot, as I said. I was pretty much past the hangover, but still a little tetchy. I kind of wanted a fight.

The cashier for the milk tea place took a look at the out-of-place white guy and signaled her apology as I was considering my options.

I decided to go with option d, get my damn tea, and leave.

I found myself walking behind the dickhead as I headed off to get the chocolates for the care package.

I seriously considered tripping this guy or body checking him into one of the parked cars. I was really giving this thought as to what kind of satisfaction I'd get from this when he abruptly jaywalked across the street.

And even now, late in the evening, I regret that I didn't just bark some snarky-ass comment to this dickhead.

It wouldn't have accomplished anything constructive. I know that. I probably would've regretted confronting him over something so trivial as cutting in line.

And yet, I can't quite let this go.

*sigh*

At least I managed to get the chocolates and they didn't melt on the train ride home. Now I have to figure out what else to include in the care package besides a card.

I'm really not very good at this.

No comments: