Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Machine Girl

I've gushed about "Machine Girl" already, but that's never shut me up before.

I loaned my copy to one of my co-workers last week. He returned it yesterday. We compared notes for about fifteen minutes or so.

I think some other people in the office are afraid of us now.

By happy coincidence, my friend Marc got his copy from Amazon yesterday and will probably watch it this week.

I know he'll love it as much as I have. By uttering that statement, I know I'll have company in Hell. Gah.

The movie is a festival of campy violence and bloodshed that boggles the mind. It troubles me a little bit that I was watching much of the movie and eating dinner at the same time. Didn't even make me pause between bites (save to laugh at the more outrageous scenes... again... I'm sick).

I didn't particularly like the scenes where the heroine herself was hurt (she gets cut up a fair amount) but she gives far better than she gets and the actress carries the scenes with a certain flair and aplomb that makes it all work.

It helps also that the FX are so campy that it's hard to take any of the movie seriously.

And they have "Evil Dead" tributes in it!

How can that be wrong?

Don't I sound like I'm trying to justify something to myself? Heh.

No comments: