Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Was that a tumbleweed?

It's really vacation season, I guess.

My cube-neighbor Hebron is gone for the week. Both of the Angelas I know are skipping town (the recently-married one leaves today. The other leaves tomorrow, I believe). My manager is also out-of-town all week as is one of my fellow writers.

Most importantly, the unnamed skips town tomorrow.

*sigh*

Everything is so... quiet.

For all that, I appear to have a rather busy-ish week for me. I'm supposed to do dinner with a friend tomorrow. Friday is likely drinks with the guys (assuming Erik feels healthy).

Should be fun.

------

I'm still hacking my way through "Spirit Gate" by Kate Elliott. The story has slowed down a lot. It's still interesting, but I'm finding my actual interest to be flagging a fair amount.

Sad. This seemed to have a lot of potential.

Still, Elliott is a good lesson to me in how authors need to get to the damn point and stop belaboring stuff.

I got William Gibson's "Spook Country" and started thumbing through it. I really enjoyed "Pattern Recognition", though I dispute that it belongs in the sci-fi and fantasy section of any bookstore. It's really more contemporary fiction.

Just goes to prove that bookstores are run by idiots, I suppose.

---

So now my group's game has shifted into email mode. I'm running into the familiar problem of response time from guys. Some reply quickly. Others... not so much.

Thankfully the cards have fallen to where the two more responsive are together and actually doing stuff.

The other group is a bit mired. I'm not sure how to prod them (or if I should). One of 'em is very proactive and is trying stuff (bless his clever heart). One is notoriously lax in emailing (either due to his schedule or due to lack of interest... I'm never sure). The last is the one who I find the most vexing. A very "thinking outside of the box" kind of person who often thinks outside of the wrong box. But when he's on his game, he's solid. Eerily solid. Strangely prescient.

Needless to say his style does not go well with my OCD-anal-retentive nature. ;-)

*sigh*

Now I just have to figure out how to execute the concepts I have for the email session without making this too weird or unplayable.

Sounds weird, doesn't it?

No comments: