Thursday, March 21, 2013

This is not the Bag-End of the matter

I think I have a problem.

Let me back up. So some time back, I somehow hurt myself. This is not a new thing. I don't seem to be able to go more than ten minutes in a day without stubbing a toe, pulling a muscle, or whatever. I'm not going to make it to old age the way I'm going and my hobbies certainly aren't contributing to my physical longevity.

This injury has been hard to diagnose. It's roughly localized to the neck/shoulder, which - according to doctors and physical therapists - could mean just about anything is messed-up.

Good times. That's the stuff I like to hear when I'm in pain.

I've been doing physical therapy to deal with this and otherwise resting said limb from the more egregious uses in martial arts classes (or just skipping entire weeks when the topic would require use of said limb).

This morning was one of the first in ages in which I haven't felt any significant pain. Just stiffness.

Then I got out of my car, grabbed my bag and... ouch. Wrong arm.

Reminded me of my PT's reaction upon first meeting me. I'd come straight from work and was lugging my bag as leaving it in my car was just an unwise move.

She blinked, looked at me, looked at the bag and said: "I think that's your problem right there."

I laughed it off but this morning I'm wondering if I'm being too flippant about this.

Looking in this delightful bag of carrying capacity, I've got:
  • A paperback book
  • My e-reader
  • A hat
  • A first aid kit
  • A water bottle
  • A small umbrella
  • A hobo knife
  • Collapsable chopsticks
  • Bike tools
  • Allergy meds
  • A freakin' toothbrush and toothpaste! How did that get in there?
  • Food bars (mildly-crushed)
  • Eyeglasses (huh... so that's where those went...)
  • Some sort of multitool I'd forgotten I owned that's... substantial. (The Kelvin .23 if you're curious.
  • A few removable bags with smaller subsets of tools, pens, cables, chargers, and FSM-knows what else

Perhaps I should occasionally clean out my EDC bag.

"What does not kill you makes you stronger", or so the saying goes. I'm pretty much living proof that's not true. This bag's weight is clearly trying to kill me and I don't feel all that much stronger.

I stand by my version: "What does not kill you tries harder next time."

No comments: