Thursday, March 7, 2013

Eldritch doom, sword-wielding detectives, and muffins

I'm still waiting to hear if the meteorite "defrosting" in Japan is going to hatch into mindless horror. I think they're likely screwed when Ghidora starts laying the smackdown. Only Godzilla can save them and we all know how well that goes for real estate values.



Had free time yesterday and hit Barnes & Noble. Found myself buying a couple of books. Big shock. While waiting for friends and associates, I had a pint and started to read one of them:

Yamada Monogatari: Demon Hunter by Richard Parks is a sort of pulp noir story, only it's set in Heian period Japan. So the main character, Yamada Monogatari, is narrating the story in modern-ish vernacular, but he's really a down-on-his-luck Japanese nobleman who has been forced to turn to mercenary/detective/demon hunter work to pay the bills.

The book is a collection of short stories about Yamada and so far they're kicking my ass. I know a tiny bit about the Heian period from some light reading done after watching some films set in that era. In a nutshell, it's really before the Shoguns rose to power. Demons and ghosts are pretty common ocurrences in the stories told of that era. So really, you've got a sort of Sam Spade/Harry Dresden walking around with a Tachi instead of a revolver or magical blasting stick.

It's kicking my ass. Love this stuff.



So far my "healthy muffin" experiment hasn't poisoned me. Yet.

No comments: