Thursday, May 7, 2009

No Pressure!

Quick! Name a novel - either a standalone or first in a series! It has to be good!

That essentially paraphrases the phone call I got over an hour ago.

EEP!

I suggested The Name of the Wind (mainly 'cause it's in my bag right now), but V has already read that.

Hmph.

NeverWhere by Neil Gaiman was next on my mind.

I should've suggested Good Omens. I would up going with Pattern Recognition, by William Gibson.

In retrospect, I'm not sure it was a great suggestion. I love Pattern Recognition, but I think I'm in the minority among my friends.

Oddly enough, Gibson's quasi-sequel, Spook Country did nothing for me. I got bored and couldn't finish it.

Crap. I should've recommended the three Kate Daniels books by Ilona Andrews: Magic Bites, Magic Burns, and Magic Strikes.

Bah.

1 comment:

VM Brasseur said...

Yeah, sorry about that bushwhack.

FWIW, suggestions NeverWhere and Good Omens would have met the same fate as The Name of the Wind.

Pattern Recognition will do nicely. It's second in the queue behind The Graveyard Book, which looks to be a quick read.

Thanks for the spontaneous recommendation!