Monday, May 12, 2008

Another week begins

Nothing says awesome like coming back to the office on a Monday morning and having a package from Amazon.

"Army of Darkness" on DVD. Yes!

And on a truly random whim, I got "The Black Hole" (the Disney flick) on DVD as well. I have no idea what prompted me to get those movies, but there you are.

Good lord. It's nearly halfway through May already. What the hell happened this year? It feels like it was January just yesterday.

Of course the unseasonably cool weather probably has something to do with that. The weather wonks claim we're getting hit with a heat wave as soon as tomorrow. A sudden spike in hot temps does not fill me with joy, but alas, I was not consulted by Mother Nature on what lies ahead.

Probably revenge for my claim yesterday that dry winters tend to give us cool summers.

Damn you, ironic universe!

So Steve's final Kaboom party along the Embarcadero was quite enjoyable. It was a solid nerd-crowd of gaming developers and Second Lifers, for the most part. I passingly knew about half of the party's crowd. I was more than a little surprised to meet someone among Steve's co-workers who is associated with my friend Vicky, formerly from my company.

Small world indeed.

And Mother's Day went quite well. I love living in the 21st century when Amazon gift certificates satisfy. I was able to perfect the brownie recipe in this "all edges" pan and present it as part of dessert for everyone.

Mmm... brownies.

---

Friday's sci-fi offerings were tolerable. I'm still enjoying the "Sarah Jane Adventures" even though they're very much kiddie-fare. The "Dr. Who" episode entitled "The Planet of the Ood" wasn't as preachy as I'd feared. The Doctor's latest companion, Donna Noble, isn't as screechingly annoying as I'd feared. Overall I'm enjoying this season a lot.

And then there's BSG.

I found Friday's BSG a tad lackluster. I find the scattered portrayal of Starbuck more than a little irritating this season. Who the hell would follow such an obvious crazy person? And some of the decisions they made... I mean who would seriously risk an injured man's leg getting amputated just to risk meeting and making a tenuous alliance with the fuckers who nearly annihilated humanity?

When the Cylon woman is saying "this is a bad idea", it should've been a tipoff. And the writers had her just randomly jump over to volunteer to help Starbuck... gah!

It's like the BSG writers are dropping a lot of acid now. The character motivations don't make any sense anymore.

Saddens me.

---

This coming weekend is our next game, this time at Chez Erik. It's nice to have something to look forward to.

That reminds me. I must load up on the allergy drugs.

No comments: