Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Things: Water Filters

Clean water is pretty much a necessity in life.

With climate change introducing all sorts of crazy into the world, forward-thinking sorts are doing their best to secure supplies of fresh water or working on technologies to purify existing water supplies.

Kinda makes paranoid types think ahead to how to handle one's own water needs.

For a few years, I've been looking at the Lifesaver bottles. I haven't gotten one yet. $230+ is not exactly pocket change, especially these days. Still, my bug-out-bag could always use a good water bottle. I've currently got a stainless steel water bottle and a Katadyn Pocket Water Filter taking up space.

Yes, I know the Katadyn is more expensive than the Lifesaver. Suffice it to say I took advantage of a sale and combined it with a gift card to take the "ouch" out of that little purchase, back in the day.

Now ThinkGeek has their own offering: The NDuR Advanced Portable Filtration Bottle.
For roughly forty bucks, they seem to claim functionality similar to the Katadyn and Lifesaver filters. Makes me wonder if this is a "too good to be true" scenario, though. I wonder what's involved in replacing the filter (if anything) after it hits the 100-ish galleon target.

Something to investigate, I suppose.

No comments: