Thursday, February 21, 2013

Hobsessions

Ah, gaming.

If I was perfectly-honest about how much time I've sunk into our various RPG campaigns, I probably could have an M.D. and speak five languaes by now.

Assuming my brain could retain that information. Lately I'm not convinced I could think my way out of a wet paper bag, but that's always how I feel after I have software issues (long story I won't share here).

My position in the GM's seat is now occupied by Erik who is diving in with relish and enthusiasm.

Part of me feels good to be relieved of the burden of running the game. We do email sessions between monthly live meetings. Logistically it often feels like juggling flaming chainsaws over a firepit on a tightrope while herding cats on an open plane.

Sounds attractive, doesn't it?

Part of me feels a weird sense of loss. This is a little too central to my life probably going a bit beyond the "hobby" description and more into the "obsession" area.

The game keeps me somewhat-grounded when the rest of life feels out-of-control. 'Cause let's face it, most of us don't have that much control over the various elements in our lives. We really only control how we react to those various elements. OCD freaks like me have a problem with that. So playing God in a make-believe world lets OCD nutcases deal.

That's my Psych 101 take on matters. Probably doesn't help that I've never taken a psych class.

I've been trying to up my attendance time in martial arts to compensate. I hope to test at the end of this semester for a new belt. After the last couple of classes I've attended, I question whether I'll be ready and/or intact for such an endeavor, but never hurts to try.

Anyone who says "never hurts to try" in context with martial arts is lying. Just so you know. It really CAN hurt to try. I'm walking (okay, shambling) proof.

I digress.

I've got "Homeland" (the book, not the TV show) to occupy me for a short time then I need to figure out what to next try my hand it. Expanding my cooking repertoire? Learning how to spell "repertoire" on the first try without need of spell check? Try to learn a language (again)? Get back to my various unfinished and likely never-to-be-finished stories?

Something new?

So many options...

No comments: