Tuesday, September 16, 2008

That's just... awesome!

I love my neighbors.

That statement could apply to the folks I work around and the folks I live around. I'm consistently pleased with how awesome my cube neighbors are, but that's not what prompted this post.

So last night, as I considered crashing early to shake the icky impending feeling of a possible head cold, I got a knock on the door.

I can count the number of times someone's knocked on my door with one hand and still be able to hold a cup of coffee (mmmm... coffee... no, mustn't get distracted...).

I open the door and it's the daughter of the neighbors from across the hall.

I should clarify: on my floor there's three families whom I believe to be Chinese (I'm guessing this based on what I recognize of spoken language) and one family that's Thai (I got this based on them telling me such).

All my neighbors rock. They have nice kids. They're all friendly. They all don't seem to mind me. We all watch out for one another.

Good times.

That said, we don't hang out together or anything. We all keep to our own business, for the most part. If we knock on one another's doors for whatever reason, it's to point out something like "your car has a flat tire" or "someone broke into your car or storage unit" or "hey, I've got some of your mail" or whatever.

This time, the mom and daughter greeted me at the door (okay, the teenage daughter greeted me. The mom was hovering in the background) with moon cakes.

As I have had it explained to me by co-workers (and now my teenage neighbor), Sunday was the Moon Festival (or the mid-Autumn Festival or variations on that theme). Part of celebrating this is giving out things like moon cakes and the like.

So, to my surprise, my neighbor hands me four moon cakes and wishes me a happy Moon Festival.

I can't recall my exact response. I think I was a bit startled (and, I was under the weather...). I recall stammering thanks, then asking the girl about her pending high school graduation (standard questions: how's school? Do you know where you're going to college? You know, the kinds of questions about real life that you hated hearing when you were graduating high school...). Then that was it. Feeling strangely flattered, I put the food in the kitchen, then crashed out at a ridiculously-early hour.

I woke up this morning and found the cakes in my kitchen as I was making breakfast.

My neighbors rock. I need to think of something nice to do in return.

No comments: