Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Furry Drama

No, not "furries" as in the people who dress-up as such.

I'm talking about the four-legged variety.

In the last couple of days I've had two different friends approach me to pet-sit. One friend asked me to crash at their house and watch over their cats while another asked if it would be possible for me to put up her dog.

The crashing-at-someone's-house thing is unattractive on a whole series of levels. The allergy to cats just makes that totally impossible. I'd suck it up, but actually sleeping over at a house permeated with cat-ness would push me over the edge.

I feel worse for my friend with the dog. I was honestly surprised she even asked me (in the roundabout way she did). I guess I'm a little flattered that she even implied she'd trust me with her dog (which is a cute little Shelty-mix).

Alas, not only would my allergies hit me, but my landlord doesn't allow pets in my building. I'd suck up the allergies (in my own apartment I'd have a bit more control over space), but the landlord would be unbending. Given that I'm totally unfamiliar with how to handle dogs, there's a whole host of terrible problems that would arise and unlike the cat-sitting (which would only be a weekend) the dog-sitting would be at least two weeks.

My family obligations (which will kick me squarely in the head during that time of October) would not mix well with dog-sitting.

I guess it's no big thing, but I do hate to let friends down.

No comments: