Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Subarashii desu ne!

Okay, I remember a liiiiitttttllle bit of my Japanese. Chotto.

Today has a decided Japanese theme to it. While I pretty much wasted most of the day being a bum (is that truly "wasting" the day? Ask a philosopher...), two events stand out to me:

1) A package from my good friend Megumi arrived. Bless her. Any communication from her is a wonderful gift. Actual gifts are nice too. ;-)

2) Dinner with Vicky at Kirala for tasty sushi, yummy sake, and awesome company. Bonus: homebrew.

Okay, the homebrew isn't Japanese. Still... subarashii desu. In a couple of weeks, I'll taste it and expect to say "oishii desu ne!"

Look it up if you're confused.

In any event, Megumi and Vicky rock (of course).

I've otherwise spent the day watching last night's episode of "Fringe", hitting SF for no constructive purpose, and jogging (to pretend I'm healthy).

Re: "Fringe", I have to say that I'm pleasantly surprised that Abrams has hooked me on what is, on the face of it, an "X-Files" ripoff. I certainly enjoy it far better than I liked the season three opener to "Heroes".

Now, to be fair, "Heroes" didn't suck nearly as bad as I expected, based on how awful last season was. That said, it wasn't exactly good. I'm pretty much done with Sylar, half-assed time-travel stories, Claire whining, Peter-being-Peter, and Hiro and Ando being dorky.

They did all this in season one.

The attempted "freshening" of the plot by giving more characters super powers isn't helping. The new villains... okay, that's not bad. The present-Peter a victim of future-Peter pretty much kills any interest I might have out of that storyline, though.

Now, "Fringe"... I don't think that will last even a full season. The characters are intriguing enough. They'll get annoying pretty quickly, though. That's just a given.

Ah well. I can get past that as long as I have tasty sushi and excellent sake in my belly as well as fun packages from Japan.

Good times.

No comments: