Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Reading Materials

I re-read "The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss over my week off. The paperback is the perfect size for me to dump in my jacket pocket and the story is engaging enough that I could re-read it a dozen times before I started to get tired.

In all honestly, I was putting off reading "Bloodheir" by Brian Ruckley. I liked "Winterbirth" well enough, but it's a bleak setting Ruckley has and it takes me some time to work up to getting into it. Ruckley also writes as though he's telling a Celtic/Norse saga with these great tribal blood-feuds and the like. It sort of drags at points and makes me crave something a little faster-paced.

With that in mind, I hit the local bookstore yesterday during lunch hour and found a series my friend Charles the Book Pimp recommended: the Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson.

"Mistborn" (the first book) was on some kind of $4.99 special, so I grabbed that and the second book. The first chapter was a fast read, so I suspect I'll enjoy the book. It already reads like something Erik would be into, so I may pass this along to him when I'm done.

No comments: