Monday, October 28, 2013

Where's a baseball when you need one?

My laptop, back from its repairs and woes, now has a fresh reinstall of Windows Vista.

Yes, that's right. My laptop is possessed by the Devil.

It's what came with the damn thing. I downgraded Vista to XP, back in the day. For whatever reason, repeating the process prevents XP from running updates so the laptop is now running Vista. And I'm wondering if it was worth it saving $300 to go through this when I could have ponied up four bills for something newer.

Gah. So I'm running updates on it while my PC is running its pokey backup and the laptop takes a good 40 minutes to retrieve its updates from Microsuck. A good 124 updates, I should add. For three-and-a-half hours later, I'm watching the pokey thing update. My PC's backup finishes and the laptop is still chugging away at its downloads. And then the installation... gods damn. I can't believe how long that took.

I'm half-tempted to wipe the entire OS and just load Ubuntu, but I'm not yet convinced I want the laptop there just yet.

Give me time. I'm sure the demonic powers of Vista will drive me to that sooner rather than later.

No comments: