Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Thoughts on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

I've now seen two episodes of Marvel's "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.". My reactions:

  • I feel a little bit as though I'm watching "Human Target". Humorous moments with hyper-skilled characters against cartoonish shmucks. I kind of like it.
  • Clark Gregg and Ming-Na Wen pretty much make the show. Their understated awesomeness is pretty much keeping me hooked.
  • I'm having trouble with the rest of the cast: Brett Dalton, Chloe Bennett, Iain De Caestecker, and Elizabeth Henstridge. They're all "generic", for lack of a better term. I had this problem in Pacific Rim with the main hero guy and the Australian cliche characters. They all looked the same to me and didn't communicate any kind of unique qualities that imprinted on my mind.

    Dalton seems to have some range, but his character is so... bland... that I have trouble remembering what he even looks like.

    Bennett looks and like a typical Whedon character. She's a bit like a mix of Eliza Dushku and Summer Glau. She's engaging enough but I'm having the same trouble remembering her character as soon as she's off-screen. There's just been no surprises there.

    De Caestecker and Hendstridge are so cliche that I can barely remember what they look like when they're on-screen. Good lord.

    Would it have killed ABC to cast someone who doesn't look like a 20-something hipster-model? Just so my brain can imprint who they are...
  • I'm liking that ABC is sinking money into this. Getting Samuel Jackson in a cameo was awesome.
  • I'll keep watching. I really can't stop. I'm not prepared to claim I like this more than "Person of Interest" but it's beating out "Sleepy Hollow" for entertainment value so far.

No comments: