Friday, October 18, 2013

UI

UI (user interface) is an important element of web design. One could argue it's an essential consideration.

It's a surprisingly-complex job, from what little I've observed of my company's UI staff.

I'm of the opinion that UI really should incorporate some kind of realistic end-user feedback, myself. It's been my experience that many people really just want a web interface to work, and - more importantly - not to change too much. If change happens, it's best not to make the change too sudden or jarring.

It shocks me when major software companies ignore their potential audience/customer base by introducing sudden, and often jarring, changes.

The best examples I've seen just this week:
  • Microsoft's Windows 8. Yeesh.
  • Yahoo's new mail. What a bug-filled, craptacular lemon this is.
  • and now Google's change to Gmail login. I don't know what the fuck Google is doing, but it's nigh-impossible for me to get to the actual prompt to log in to Gmail.
That's three major companies, right there. All three have managed to annoy me and piss off several people I know.

It's this kind of behavior that makes people like me look for alternatives and this kind of arrogant, arbitrary behavior that ultimately becomes the undoing of these kinds of big companies...

No comments: