Friday, January 4, 2013

Let us not run to Camelot. 'Tis a silly place.

While perusing my morning list of interesting links, I saw ApocalypseEquipped post something about chainmail shoes.

Wait. What?

I forwarded to a friend of mine who put me on to Vibram Five Finger shoes (which foot issues usually keep me from wearing, but I digress).

Then I went to the referenced Gizmodo article in the ApocalypseEquipped post.

I was curious and anything on Mr. Orth's "lust lists" usually gets my attention.

From Gizmodo, I found myself skimming the PaleoBarefoots site that makes said chainmail shoes.

I've only lightly-skimmed the page. I really just want to see the bottom of these shoes. I'm supremely-curious if there's any kind of rubber-like tread or if the sole is also chainmail.

Seems to me a chainmail sole:
  • Offers no grip
  • Doesn't protect from small, sharp rocks or small glass shards
  • Doesn't protect worth a damn against thorns, sharp pointy sticks, needles, and such
That said, the concept is certainly neat. If I were still of a mind to hit Ren Faires and the like, this is the footwear I'd totally want to have.

Seems to me it would go really well with a Utilikilt (he says, slyly addressing his friends who own such clothing items).

1 comment:

Schadwen said...

Reasons Against
1. They don't look comfortable for anywhere, but inside.
2. Metal conducts heat; I think they'd be cold.
3. The aforesaid lack of protection.
4. For the price, I'd rather have another utilikilt.