Friday, January 25, 2013

And Friday arrives again

I can't properly tell through the clouds, but I think it's a full moon.

That would explain some of the crazy people.

Then again... what explains the rest of the days of the month?



So, the Interwebs buzz over the latest bit of crazy: J.J. Abrams may direct the next Disney-produced "Star Wars" movie.

I'm already seeing the lens flares.

Honestly, I don't see how it could possibly be worse than the prequels. Abrams does great build-up and I must admit I loved the re-imagined Star Trek (even though I can imagine Gene Roddenberry spinning in his transporter stream). Star Wars is definitely more Abram's style.

I swear TO GOD that if he gets Lindelof involved and there are goddamn ANGELS involved I will learn how to Force choke from across the country...



I continue to watch "Arrow" and I'm wondering why they didn't just come out and do a "Batman" TV show. I mean, there's precious little difference...



I have a new quest: I seek beer from Calicraft Brewing Company known as "Oaktown Brown Ale". I've had it on draft a couple times and found it to be tasty, delicious, and worthy of storage in my 'fridge.

There's a few liquor stores reported to carry it bottled. I hit Ledgers Liquors in the People's Republic yesterday to no avail. I plan to continue the quest. There's rumored to be a couple of places east of the Oakland Hills that might have what I seek.

It's good to have goals.



Today's "Worst Case Scenario" daily calendar lesson is: "How to Survive a Hostage Situation".

Actually pretty germane, what with all the gun crazy shit going on these days. Though I guess there's less hostage-taking and more shooting-people-like-homicidal-nuts.

All the same, here's the advice from the WCS folks:

1. If shots are fired, keep your head down and drop to the floor.

Kind of a 'duh', but people are prone to panic in situations like that and may instead try to run... thus catching the eye of a gunman and bang.

2. Carefully follow your captors' directions.

I've always ceded authority to whomever has a weapon pointed at me.

3. Keep the following tips in mind:
* Do not make any sudden movements.
* Do not attempt to hide your wallet, passport, ticket, or belongings.
* If your captors speak to you, respond in a calm, self-possessd tone of voice. (I can't do that under normal circumstances. How the HELL would I do that with gun-toting nuts?)
* Observe the characteristics and behavior of the hijackers.

4. If you are singled out by the captors, be responsive but do not volunteer information.

And here I was thinking this would be a great time to convert them to the Word of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

5. If a rescue attempt is made, remain calm and get on the ground.

I love the advice about staying calm. Plus the scenario with more of the shooting.



Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

No comments: