Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Dust of Dreams

I finally finished "Dust of Dreams" (or was it "Dreams of Dust"? Oh lord, I can't remember...) the lastest of Steven Erikson's "Malazan Book of the Fallen" series.

*Yawn*

I had to force myself to finish it.

In summary: hundreds of pages of people talking about nothing. Ten pages of savage battle. Sort of a cliffhanger ending... in the sense that the narrative just stops.

The overall novel is disappointing. Erikson has - alas - fallen in to Robert Jordan's trap of getting to into writing about hundreds of minor characters only without ever really having that many core characters to focus on.

I honestly couldn't tell you what the plot of the book is 'cause it doesn't seem to have one. I thought I knew what the plot of the series might have been at one point, but I couldn't tell you now.

Erikson is brilliant at writing personal dialog. His characters are often witty, funny, and entertaining.

They do all sound the same, though. Most of them are interchangeable and he loves jumping around in scenes a lot.

Oh well. At least Butcher's next book is due soon.

No comments: